Epstein-Barr…otherwise known as “mono”…

And I found out I have it today.

Major drag.

Some family and close friends have known that I haven’t felt quite myself for a couple of weeks now. It started out as sinus pressure without any drainage or congestion, accompanied with generalized achiness and fatigue, and a temperature that would come and go. The first week I felt “off”, I simply powered through it, thinking maybe my iron was low (which wouldn’t be a first) or that I just needed more rest. You may even remember when I posted  “72 Hours in OKC” that I mentioned feeling ill prior to my plane ride and thought it was a sinus infection. Being back in Oklahoma was such an exciting time for us, that I was determined to not let how I felt slow me down; I tried to conceal how bad I was actually feeling. The whole three days we probably slept 15 hours or less, I did workouts with old running pals (like 15 mile tempos at sub 7 min mile pace), and we took full advantage of being with family and friends. The next week, I came back to work, worked my regular three 12-hour shifts, and still felt so tired and achey. Even worse than the prior week.

The next week came, and I guess I could no longer hide how I had been feeling. I finally told my good friend and co-worker, Edit (pronounced “eh-deet,” respectively), that I had a 100 degree temp. She sympathetically and kindly told me that I had to leave work and shouldn’t return until my fever was gone. Whether I was contagious or not, we weren’t certain, but it was simply what was best for both me and the patients.

Two days ago I just couldn’t stand it any longer, and finally went to see a doctor. Because my initial symptoms weren’t “textbook” for anything, she assumed I was simply having flu-like symptoms from the flu shot I had received a week prior. Although I didn’t really agree with this diagnosis, I didn’t question it out of respect for her. So, I made another appointment with another doctor for this morning. Before she could even complete her full assessment, I had already requested that she order some labs to be drawn just so I could know for certain. Per request, she ordered the spot test (to test for mono), a thyroid panel, and a blood count (to check for anemia.)

An hour later I receive a call, and it’s the doctor who says in a surprised tone of voice, “Lana, youuuu have mono!” I immediately turned to Tyrel with an enthused smile and exclaimed, “I have mono!” Probably not the reaction he had anticipated, but I was quite frankly relieved to hear that something was actually making me feel ill and it wasn’t all in my head. Because here’s the thing with mono…some days you may feel completely back to normal, and the next day, you could feel awful again!” Lately I’ve felt pretty okay in the mornings, but by mid-afternoon, my fever is back up to 100.7, my cheeks look like a tomato, and I am convinced that the lymph nodes in my neck are merging into one giant goiter.

Mono can last anywhere from 1 month to 6 months, and if you don’t take it easy, it can last up to a year (like my sister’s did during her college years.) So I’m keeping it positive and hoping for closer to the 1 month end of the spectrum. 🙂 But if you’re reading this and I see you in person on a weekly basis generally, please know that mono is primarily transferred via saliva. By simply being in the same room with me I can’t pass it along to you. So please don’t shun me because I may go crazy without semi-regular human contact. Unless I have the sudden urge to lick you or spit in your eyeballs, you will be just fine. Tyrel is the only one who needs to worry. Whom, speaking of, has been so helpful at lovingly, yet sternly, telling me to sit my bum down and quit folding laundry. Or quit doing the dishes. Or quit making the bed. Basically if I’m not on the couch reading a book or watching things on Netflix, I’m lovingly told to go sit down and take care of myself. I have the best husband in the world, guys. I really do.

So that’s that. The hardest part will be forcing myself to take the needed time to rest, that’s for sure. But hopefully with time we’ll get this thing kicked and I’ll be back to normal before no time.

In the meantime, I’ll be doing…

THIS to keep weight on…(they’re actually quite delicious when served chilled!)





THIS to entertain myself…(light-hearted classics!)…

THIS to keep hydrated and get lots of good vitamins!

Make sure you’re all practicing good hand hygiene and not drinking after people! There’s “stuff” going this time of year.


11 thoughts on “Epstein-Barr

  1. Marisa says:

    hey! does this mean we can come hang out as long as your bum remains on the couch?? 😀

  2. Sherri says:

    Oh!!!…and you have a awesome nurse!! :.)

  3. Sherri says:

    Your going to beat this….just rest, and give yourself time…enjoy the rest….embrace it. :>)…you look like there isn’t one thing wrong with you….you look beautful and happy! Love you!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. Jean says:

    Darling Lana – So sorry you are so sick. I take solace knowing you are under best of care by your loving husband. Feel better soon. Love Blue Jean and Grandpa

  5. Kayle Sneed says:

    Lana! I’m so sorry you have mono! I had it in college…don’t really remember much of homecoming that first year… Um oh ya by the way I’ve been creeping your blog. 🙂

    • Lana Lacey says:

      Kayle! Aw man so good to hear from you! Sorry to hear you had it too. Keep creepin’ away. And when you get the chance, “creep” on up to the Northwest and let’s hang out.

  6. Vickie says:

    Sweetie, we are praying for you!! Love you!

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: