Welcome to LaceyVigor 2014. Where I will continue to have no general theme to this site and just write whatever the heck I feel like.
Tyrel and I had a good discussion recently on one of our ‘State of the Union’ chats (“union” = our marriage). We talked about all sorts of goals. Any and all goals pertaining to the subcategories of our life you could think of. I had pretty much given up on this blog because I thought it had to look a certain way if I were going to publish stuff consistently. Our conversation went something like this:
T: Why don’t you blog anymore?
L: Because I feel stupid doing it. I feel like by blogging I’m pridefully assuming people care about our lives and what I have to say. As if any of it is super important.
T: Oh, is that why you have [X] number of readers on a regular basis?
L: [insert eye roll or something]
T: I’m just saying, I think you’re happier when you have a creative outlet and I really love it when you write. Because I think you’re good at it. I wish you’d reconsider your decision to stop.
L: Well, I’m not going to do it anymore.
[Confession: I’m most stubborn in refusing to do something when I feel like I’m being pushed against my will.]
Here’s the conclusion. Because Tyrel is one of the best humans, what he says/suggests/encourages holds significant worth that I’d be a fool not to consider. So, now that Consideration Phase is complete, I want you to know Lacey Vigor will continue after it’s long vacation. And I’m excited for 2014!
Here’s some honesty:
The largest contributing hindrance to writing this blog was fear. I have a very diverse group of friends and not-so-diverse family. So I found myself writing to please one audience or the other. “If I write about [x] will that offend my friends? And if I write about [x] will that offend my family?” So, in moving forward, please know this:
I may “offend” you but that’s not my intent.
- In a culture where we have become grossly obsessed with “intolerance”, I think our dinner parties have gotten a lot more boring because we fear we’ll come across as intolerant if we openly discuss our differing viewpoints. But I love hearing people talk about their education/life experiences/upbringing that lead them to their spiritual beliefs and political viewpoints and opinions on controversial issues. And that’s because I love people and those “forbidden” topics are often the ones that provide the most insight into a person’s personhood. So I don’t want fear to prevent me from showing you my true colors, because I don’t desire that for you, either.
I don’t maintain this blog to…
- Show you how awesome my life is #humblebrag
- Make money and get free stuff
- Convince you that my opinions and thoughts are of highest importance <– definitely not that.
I do maintain this blog because…
- My husband thinks I should and he tells me I’m good at it and that makes me feel good
- I enjoy setting an example of authenticity even if that means showing you photos of my gnarly feet
- I love reading your comments and emails you send. Please continue to do so! I read every single email.
Thanks for reading LaceyVigor you crazy weirdo. Now get off your rump and go do something.